Making a scrunchie is a fun and easy DIY project that you can do at home with just a few materials. They make for great gifts, and to use up scrap pieces left over from other projects. They're so easy, they're even easy to do with kids!
You can adjust the length and width of the material and elastic based on the size of the scrunchie you want to make. There is not really a wrong size to make them!
When picking your fabric, the world is your oyster. They're often made from woven cotton (Like our Cotton Twill) but you can really use anything from Cotton Lycra, Corduroy, Linen, Swim and even PUL. It just depends on the look and feel you're going for.
Materials you will need:
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Pins or Mini Metal Clips
- Favourite fabric of your choice
- Piece of elastic (¼ - ½ inch or 0.5 - 1cm wide)
Note: I've used a 6mm elastic in this tutorial, however you can use anything from cord elastic up to 12mm and get a great result.
- Cut your favourite fabric into a 22-inch by 3-inch (or 56cm X 7.5cm) rectangle.
5. Cut a piece of elastic that is 8 inches (20cm) long.
6. Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic band and thread it through the fabric tube.
Your scrunchie is now complete! You can make more scrunchies with different fabrics to match all of your outfits.